Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Lunch alone @ home

It was Monday yesterday and my usual off-shift day, difference was that I only worked on Wed & Thu last week and we had team building event for the whole of our department (40+ people) on Friday - well that translates to no work on Friday see; and I won't work until this Thursday! Ain't that cool or what?

Anyway, usual Monday where I will laze around at home, and eat in as well, so my grandma usually cooks for 2 (rice, that is), she faithfully fries some veggies everyday and my dad usually 'ta paos' (take-away) some dishes to go from outside - sometimes fish ball soup, curry chicken, rempah (Malay for spices) fish, chicken feet, wan tan soup, etc etc.. and that's our meal(s). (my dad normally doesn't eat at home, due to my grandma's constant nagging which i normally put up with, involuntarily)

My grandma usually attends to her Mahjong sessions (yes she can still play mahjong at her age, and very well if I may add) every Saturdays and Sundays, with my dad being the driver coz the place is around Green Lane (nowhere remotely near my house btw), and stays at home during weekdays, watching a mixture of Astro Wah Lai Toi, TVB8, TVB Xing He, Animal Planet, CCTV & National Geographies channels.

The phone suddenly rang around 1130am and it's my grandma's Mahjong Kaki (usual Mahjong game players), asking her to come by as they're short of 1 player. My dad was still at home (he normally goes out for his own daily Mahjong sessions around 1230pm) so he agreed to drive her there.

So my grandma went out with my dad, leaving me alone in the house, with cooked rice and dishes. Normally I dread lunching alone with my grandma, not because of any unfillial reasons whatsoever, just solely for the reason of her always demanding us to finish off all the dishes so she doesn't have to store them back in the fridge, even if it meant having to force ourselves to finish them after we felt full.

It's actually my first time having lunch at home alone, with ready made dishes and cooked rice. So lunch time came for me about 2pm (had late breakfast) and here's my cosy little homey lunch (it'll be the same for dinner as well, and I wasn't complaining at all):-














Clockwise from top:-
Fried veggies my grandma cooked
Sweet meatballs with tomatoes & red beans my dad bought (he knew i always liked red beans)
Curry prawns with timuns (cucumber) - this for only RM2! My dad claims that the lady under charged him

And here's my rice! (Ain't the plate classic? I Love it coz it grew up with me)














My dad had Char Koay Kak (a type of fried squarish thingy sold by hawkers) for his lunch :- but didn't finish it and so it ended up on the table:-














How could a lunch be complete without my new found favourite drink? Nestle Bliss yoghurt drink - Kiwi flavour:-




























I had a very wonderful and satisfying lunch with all of the above and what's more, my dad even ta pao-ed some Bak Kut Teh to go with our dinner and I waited for them to come back and join me :) But the acclaimed Klang Bak Kut Teh didn't taste anywhere near the original ones at all - hmmm.. I still like the one in Air Itam :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yummmmmmmmmy............
i'm already salivating...
nothing beats the simple dishes at home...gosh,do you remember the economy rice stall at the back lane? i miss that....

jadephoenix said...

Definitely couldn't forget that.. eventhough I have almost the same dishes everyday! Coz i enjoyed u guys' company! Gawd i really missed those times...