Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Welcoming the year 2007! Strings of outings

30th Dec
My ex-colleague Dorene invited me to a drama showcase that their company acted as main sponsors at 8pm tonight. So me and my bf went to Gurney Plaza for shopping in the afternoon then he sent me back home as I needed to shower and change to attend the drama at Dewan Sri Pinang (Penang Municipal Town Hall).

As the main sponsors, they had a huge banner spread across the main hall right opposite the grand staircase as well as a smaller banner on the other side of the staircase:-




























They also set up a stall giving away free lucky draws of paper samples, merchandise in the forms of memo cubes, mouse pads, car sun shades, umbrellas, sports bag, and many more - to attract wider target audience and increase their brand awareness among the people in general. The stall had smaller buntings set up on the left as well:-




























The performance consisted of 2 dramas with some of their actors 'recycled' from the first drama to the next - probably coz they're from the same drama association, but I must say that the standard of their dramas were just average - the story line did not have any climax and the plots were neither interesting, they lack of punchlines and there were no actors/actresses who shone compared to the rest. Some of the more 'senior' uncles were heard lamenting how bored the performances were and we even heard their louder-than-average yawns! My goodness...

I could still vividly recall back in the old days where I involved in my school's drama club - we participated 3 years consecutively in the Penang State Drama Competition and clinched various titles such as Second place, Third place, Best Script, Best Stage Design, Best Actress and so on. I was proud of our drama team's accomplishments as I felt we did our best and we deserved our wins. After so many years, looking at these new youngster's dramas made me exclaim how poor the qualities were...

* Snap! Snap! * - pulling myself back to reality - 2007

The lengthy dramas ended around 10:30pm and we then headed to a nice place my ex-manager recommended - they serve tasty Kai See Hor Funs (Cantonese : Flat Rice Noodles with Chicken Strips) - I didn't know about this place til tonight - it was a good recommendation indeed! Unfortunately it was a bit late so they ran out of the famous Hor Funs (flat rice noodles) so we had to make do with what's left - Bee Hoons (Hokkien : thin clear noodles)














The soup base was to die for - rich in flavour and the chicken strips were well marinated before they blend them with the soup and serve - there were mushrooms as well - which Kai See Hor Funs normally come with - highly recommended! The stall is just behind this drinking place called "Honolulu" at Dato Keramat.

After supper, we headed onto a pub called "The Place" at Pulau Tikus, opposite Lancia Holdings - and drank til 2am... I must say that Skol beer had not much of an impact compared to other beers :) Oh, and they even had "Sexy Dancing" with 3 girls skimpily clad and danced on their mini stage - as time goes by and it gets late, their outfit and 'dance moves' became more and more daring - and all I kept on thinking was how can these girls commit to such a job....

31st Dec
I had to work from 9am-9pm but then my sweet bf fetched me to work so we can go off for new year's eve partying straight after my work. So 9pm came and ding! ding! ding!! we pack up and go off! We went to my friend Terry's s place - T-Jay Cafe at upper Penang road for dinner first, and I ordered the New Year's Eve Set Dinner:-


Starter/Appetiser : Smoked Salmon with Caviar














Soup : Shark's Fin Soup














Main : Tenderloin Steak














Drink : Sparkling Juice














Dessert : Tiramisu cake - I didn't take a picture of this coz Eugene arrived with his gf and I was chatting with him while having the cake - but this is one of the best Tiramisu I had so far!

We then moved onto Hannah K-Bar where his pals were at and celebrated the count down inside! My bf and their pals were pretty much high and they had a lot to drink, yacked away, took a lot of pictures, made fun of each other, and they even moved onto SS (Slippery Senoritas) and hung out til 330am! I offered to drive my bf back to my house and he even asked me "Are you sure you can drive?" I asked him back "If I can't, you're much worse" - Overall we had great fun as the turn out rate of his pals were pretty much full - and i was entertained seeing how the guys fooled around and their antics after getting drunk! :D

1st Jan
Both of us woke up pretty late and we headed to QueensBay Mall coz my bf needed to buy pillows for his Ipoh house and I couldn't resist the Power Puff Girls (PpG) fleece blanket that was on 50% sale! Actually I'm currently using a blanket which my grandma hand-made from very olden days and it's lengthy and tedious handicraft; and as time goes by some of the pieces are torn now and it's sad to continue to see them torn til it's not fixable anymore - I really would like to have my grandma's efforts preserved in a perfect condition and wanting to get myself a blanket so her blanket can be 'relieved' from my further 'abuse'

This is the PpG fleece blanket my bf bought for me!




























Isn't the design cute???

I slept in it yesterday night and it's really warm indeed!

This is my current blanket - hand made by my grandma:-














Notice how symmetrical the designs are....

This is the closeup:-














And the reverse side is a lining pattern:-














My ah ma blanket never failed to keep me warm even up to the coldest nights - and now the time has come for it to be 'preserved'

^ & ^ & ^ & ^ & ^ & ^ & ^ & ^ & ^ & ^ & ^ & ^ & ^ &

Right after my bf dropped me back home around 9pm after having nice Bak Kut Teh for dinner, one of my crazy colleague sms-ed me for lim teh (Hokkien : normal hang out & drinking) session with another colleague so I joined them at Coffee Bean, talked non sense and only went home around 12am... where I proceeded in attempting to complete my performance review write up (due by 2nd Jan btw) until 230am.. and still left one last part to go! I was totally worn out by then and headed to bed....

2nd Jan
I had to set my alarm to wake up at 10am to complete my performance review write-up but still could not complete it - I didn't care and went out with my bf around 2:30pm as our plan was to go shopping at Pacific Mega Mall (Butterworth), but before that I was hungry and missed my wan thun mee so my bf brought me to our usual yummy wan thun mee place at Chulia Street where they serve Ngao Lam Meen (Cantonese : Beef Stew Noodle) as well:-














Notice how empty the coffee shop is? I swear the entire coffe eshop was filled with people in a little after 15 minutes after we sat down! All for the wan thun mee/beef stew noodle!

This is the wan thun mee with extra wan thuns I ordered:-














We then headed for Pacific at Mega Mall (Butterworth) via bridge but used the Ferry instead for our return trip - it's been such a long time since I travelled by ferry coz we normally use the bridge - this is a mini ferry trip for those who missed the experience :)




































































































































































































After my bf sent me home, I continued my performance review write up til 11pm and finally had it sent over to my boss~~~ Whew!!!! That's something gotten over and done with! But didn't manage to get myself into bed until 230am... I wonder why.....?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the generous pictures posted on your blog on the ferry trip. makes me miss home too.
and the WANTANMEE.....how can i get good soyasauce here?

jadephoenix said...

Glad you liked the ferry pics.. I knot lots of you overseas will miss it..

errr.. good soya sauce? try Chinatown and ask the lady there : 'Wan Than Meen keh cheung yao mou?' = do you have soya sauce for wan than mee? :)