Friday, April 07, 2006

Chingay Festival at night man!

I remembered long long time ago when I was still a virgin girl * blush * ahem! actually way younger than that, back when I was only 10 years old my dad used to bring us for the annual Chingay procession at Penang Road.

Background of Chingay : Chingay is an art of carrying large poles of flag usually on the chin or forehead and processing it on a fixed route consisting of the main streets. These pole carriers range from Chinese to Malay and Indians, with Chinese dominating the "sport" in the early times when the art just started. The flags bear names of sponsors or simply the names of associations as well as the municipal councils'. The procession will usually start with people's representatives; then a school band from an esteemed high school; municipal council's pole and its carrier teams; and then followed by a mixture of sponsored poles; lion & dragon dance troupes; clowns and so on. The highlight of the procession is usually the performance of skilled pole carriers showing off how they are able to hurl up the massive pole by one foot to the other person's head or chin or chest or whatever body part they could land it on. The procession is very long and can go on and on for hours.

Last time the procession was held in the mornings say like 10am but I've lost track of since when that they have changed the procession time to night time :S

Ok so I don't sound like I really know my facts but what the heck, I've got many photos which I've taken by standing up on a high location for more than one freaking hour, wearing a slightly heeled sandal alright! So whoever you are reading this, better appreciate it you noob!

Don't ever underestimate the scale of crowd it gathers coz it's massive!!! I can tell you when we first 'jom-ed' our place around 7:30pm the street was only 'lined' by people from both sides of the street. But the minute we saw the lights coming from the head of the procession, out of nowhere, people start pouring onto the streets as if flood striked! Scary!

This is the dragon dance. I like the length of the dragon and the wave it makes, so elegant..














Ain't that POLE huge? ;)














Now I caught this on film! The guy on the right just hurled the pole whereby the guy on the left managed to catch it with his chin! Way to go!














This is the clown from Pesta Pulau Pinang. (translation : Penang Fun Fair - held annually during year end long school holidays)














Notice how high up my position was compared to everybody else's? I'm not bluffing you y'know... I really stood there (alongside my sweet bf cum security guard) for over an hour, drenched in sweat just to watch the procession!

This was supposed to be the (much awaited) lion dance but my bf was telling me that by the time the procession reached our location, they're very much worn out by 60% already and hence the lacking of Energy! Spirit! and Oooommpphh! anymore....
















Here's a shot of yet another sponsored BIG pole :) I LIKE POLES.... mmmm....





No comments: