Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Gurney Suite Spa - Highly Not Recommended

Before I get to the conclusion above, do allow me to re-cap me and my boyfren's trip to the spa.

So it was Saturday 30th July, I've made a booking for 5pm and my boyfren came to pick me up around 4+ pm and he said that he was hungry coz he didn't take any lunch prior, so since I thought we wouldn't be eating till about 7-8pm, we went for something and I specifically told him that he should only take a light meal, but still I didn't tell him what to expect. He was nervous and anxious at the same time but i wanna save the surprise bit till we get there.

When we parked our car and paying for the car park, he asked me "wow, you're bringing me to Gurney Spa?" n i just smiled. Off we went and the front lady showed us to our couple Suite which is Suite 1, and we were told to 'get ready' for the massage and the lady retreated from the room. The Suite has all the facilities - from the foot bath area, massage benches, jacuzzi bath tubs, sauna, changing room, to bathroom - together with amenities like 2 sets of Hygiene pack, soap, shower cap, slippers, bathrobes, hangers, towels, short pants and drinking water.

So we both undressed and my boyfren was still a bit hesitant and so I asked him to put on the short pants instead of just going naked underneath the bathrobe.

Short while later 2 masseur came into our Suite by first ringing the doorbell and they prepared some hot water from the bath tubs to prepare for our foot bath. The foot bath was relaxing though the water she prepared for me was a little too hot. They scrubbed our feet with marine salt and honestly speaking my feet have not been pampered like this for a long time - come to think of it i never gave my feet so much of attention ever :S

After the foot bath, we were ushered to the massage bench (I don't really know how to call the massage bench/table thingy) and it took me quite some hiccups to take off my bathrobe - afterall I'm still shy to show my body to a complete stranger - eventhough it's a person of the same gender as I am. Anyway, finally it was over and done with and 1.5 hours of massage just went by in the middle of her strokes all over my body, from the back to the front, amidst the sounds of chirping birds, running fountains, sounds of raindrops on leaves and so on. (sounds from the pre-programmed central P.A. system of course)

But before the massage, I was a bit concerned of my boyfren's previous slip disc on his lower back and so I told my masseur about this so she could maybe communicate this to her colleague who will be massaging my boyfren, and my masseur just said "oh, in that case u have to ask ur fren to tell his masseur coz she will be the one to massage him, not me" and my expression went like "what the fuck?" why can't u tell ur colleague now that I have told u about this? what's so hard about that? coz both the masseurs can't speak a word of anything except Mandarin! And my boyfren couldn't speak well in Madarin. Anyway, I really don't wish for this to affect our massage moods so I just told my boyfren to tell her about it, and just as I expected in the end she didn't quite understand what he was trying to tell her. So i interfered by telling her not to put too much pressure on his lower back or avoid that area.

Anyway, after the massage, my masseur thanked me and before they both leave the suite I asked her in confirmation that we still have 30 minutes of spa and she looked a bit puzzled at first then asked me are we on the RM 155 package? And when i said yes both of them looked at each other and I knew they were not properly informed of what package we took as they thought our session was over with the massage, not realising that we still had 30 minutes of bath. So they quickly retreated after putting on the water taps for the bathtubs and one of them came back with some floral oils to go with our baths.

So me and my boyfren both immersed in our individual but joined side-by-side bathtubs, but not before some kinky fondling took place.. he was in the heat and wanted to go all the way but i refused coz it wasn't the perfect environment to enjoy it in a prolonged period of time :) coz hey, we only got roughly 20 more minutes max at that point..

After the bath we didn't took any shower, just patted ourselves dry and me busy taking photos of the place while my boyfren wears his socks and shoes. So here's some pics of the Suite with my boyfren sppearing in some frames:- (note that the lightings are so much dimmer than the photos coz flash were used at that time)

This is what you see upon entering the door and turn a bit left to go further inside.














So this is the view from direct opposite from the pic above:-















So this is from another angle (use my boyfren as a point of reference :) and here the entrance can be seen - it's the door on the upper right corner, the changing room is located right beside where my boyfren is seated and the hanger can be seen. The separate shower area is just to the left of the changing room.















From the below pic the full view of the bathtubs can be seen, as well as the sauna room (upper left corner, the shower area (right of sauna room) and the changing room (upper right corner)















We left the suite right on the dot exactly after the 30 minutes that we were given, and went outside to pay the bill. 3 staff were at the front counter yacking away even while one of them handled my payment and continued to chat away even after I've kept my purse and both of us stood up to leave the place - without any 'Thank You' whatsoever, whereby when this man (regular customer) came when my payment was being processed, one of the staff hurried to service him and told him that 'Alice' is already waiting for him and ushered him to his 'Suite' - with full smiles and all so friendly.

Upon leaving the place, the first statement both of us uttered was 'What a rude service' - 'khua kuan boh khua keh' (Hokkien for "treat highly of the so-called higher standards and lowly of the perceived lower standards") in other words - practicing double standard - both of us really hate this type of service coz it's not that we're not paying money to get service, even if the package that we took is not an expensive one, we are still the customer and customers deserve the best - not to mention a Thank You - it's just downright rude to treat us as if we're non-existent even when we're paying. It's as if they're not in service line at all.

So to all spa lovers out there.. please do not visit Gurney Suite Spa at 2nd floor, Gurney Hotel, Penang, for the simplified reasons below:-

1. Unfriendly over-the-phone service and rude over-the-counter service;
2. Non-coordinated and no team work staff;
3. Practice of double standard - this is the most prominent reason, to both me and my boyfren's standards.

A point to note is, both of us went limp roughly 1 hour after the massage and had to get some good sleep after that - so I guess we know that we should go for a massage like this during night time where we can head straight to bed afterwards. But no more Gurney Spa - we're not setting our foot there ever again. My boyfren was happy and very surprised of my effort and felt sad that I spent so much on it but he appreciated what I did and he promised to bring me to Northam Spa in the future - as a treat for me. How sweet!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ah ha....u definitely deserved some pampering...*smiles* too bad that Gurney Hotel has such poor service at its spa, compared to its number of stars its earned. they'd better teach their staff fast...else...